Höganäs celebrates 20 years in North America

August 21, 2019

Höganäs metal powders are used in a wide range of industries and applications (Courtesy Höganäs AB)

Sweden’s Höganäs AB, is celebrating 20 years since the opening of its offices in North America.

In 1999, Höganäs established its first offices in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA, after an organisational shake-up resulted in Hoeganaes Corporation in North America being sold. According to the company when GKN acquired Interlake, an 80% owner of Hoeganaes Corporation, Höganäs and GKN agreed on the sale of the remaining 20% of the shares owned by Höganäs. 

The deal opened up the possibility for Höganäs to sell metal powder in the North and South American markets that had been previously reserved for Hoeganaes Corporation. In this new quest, Höganäs acquired a Brazilian metal powder producer and founded a new subsidiary in the US: North American Höganäs.

After the first North American sales office was established, Höganäs states that it went on to acquire a steel plant in Stony Creek, First Miss Steel, and Pyron, an iron powder plant in Niagara Falls. In 2001, the atomising plant was inaugurated and two years later, Höganäs acquired SCM Metals in Johnstown for production of high alloys.

In a short video to honour the milestone, David Milligan, head of Iron Powder Operations at Höganäs’ site in Hollsopple, Pennsylvania,  recounts his experience of starting his career with Höganäs during its North American start-up.  

We’re celebrating 20 years of Höganäs in North America! Who doesn't love a little history? Our colleague, Dave Milligan explains our early days, when Höganäs established its first start-up offices in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania – USA.

Posted by Höganäs AB on Wednesday, 14 August 2019

Since 1999, Höganäs has continued to develop and expand its presence in the North American market and most recently, the company expanded its Johnstown facility in Pennsylvania, USA.


Recent issue of Powder Metallurgy review - your go-to resource to stay updated on the world of powder metallurgy and metal powders

In the latest issue of PM Review…

PM Review Spring 2023

Download PDF

Extensive Powder Metallurgy industry news coverage, and the following exclusive deep-dive articles and reports:

  • GKN Powder Metallurgy: A strategic vision for the future of permanent magnets for EVs
  • Building trust in the Powder Metallurgy industry: The role of standardisation and an update on recent work by ISO/TC 119
  • High-volume powder production for Additive Manufacturing: SMS group’s continuous metal powder production process
  • Development of enhanced-performance PM brake pads for high-speed trains by Beijing Tianyishangjia New Material Corp., Ltd.
  • The START project: Creating a sustainable supply chain for green energy harvesting products by Powder Metallurgy
  • World PM2022: Reviewing three innovative methods for metal powder production

The latest news from the world of metal powders, delivered to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of PM Review, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our weekly newsletter.

Sign up

Join our community

From the industry…

Discover our magazine archive…

The free-to-access PM Review magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of Powder Metallurgy from a commercial and technological perspective through:

  • Reports on visits to leading PM part manufacturers, metal powder manufacturers and industry suppliers
  • Articles on technology and application trends
  • Information on materials developments
  • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
  • International industry news

All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.


Browse the archive


Looking for PM production equipment, metal powders, R&D support and more?

Discover suppliers of these and more in our
advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of PM Review magazine.

  • Powders & materials
  • Powder process, classification & analysis
  • PM products
  • Atomisers & powder production technology
  • Compaction presses, tooling & ancillaries
  • Sintering equipment & ancillaries
  • Post-processing
  • Consulting & toll sintering
Download PDF
Share via
Copy link