Diehl Steel’s Accu-Square process and CPM Powder Metal tool steel combine to meet the most demanding applications
June 23, 2014
Diehl Steel, based in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, supplies a wide variety of grades of CPM powder metal products designed for the most demanding applications in the tool and die industry.
The CPM process eliminates alloy segregation and produces more highly alloyed grades of steel which cannot be produced by conventional steelmaking. The process results in a very fine, more uniform carbide distribution and imparts improved toughness and grindability, superior dimensional stability, as well as outstanding hardness, wear resistance and heat resistance compared to conventional tool steel products.
When combined with Diehl’s Accu-Square process the result is powder metal pre-squared on all six sides to the toolmaker’s requested tolerance range. This reduces or eliminates the need for further squaring of the blocks and is designed to save time and cut costs.
Diehl Steel offers a range of grades to accommodate most applications where powder metal tool steel is required.
- CPM® REX M-4, a powder metal tool steel that offers improved cutting tool life compared to conventionally wrought M-1, M-2, M-7 and other lower-alloyed high speed steels
- CPM® REX 76, a super high speed steel that contains high carbon, vanadium and cobalt for abrasion resistance comparable to T15 and superior red hardness
- CPM® REX T15, a tungsten type super high speed steel containing high vanadium for excellent abrasion resistance, and cobalt for good red hardness
- CPM® REX 45, an 8% cobalt super high speed steel which has excellent hot hardness along with good wear resistance and toughness
- CPM® 1V®, a medium-carbon, powder metal tool steel that exhibits very high impact toughness
- CPM® 3V®, an air-hardening, powder metal tool steel with a unique chemical composition that results in tooling with an outstanding combination of high impact toughness and wear resistance
- CPM® 9V®, a powder metal tool steel that provides very high wear resistance in combination with impact toughness
- CPM® 10V®, a versatile air hardening, powder metal tool and die steel which provides extremely high wear resistance and relatively high impact toughness
- CPM® 15V®, a powder metal tool steel that has exceptional wear resistance. It provides more wear resistance and longer tool life in applications similar to CPM® 10V®.