MIM2018 is sponsored by the Metal Powder Industries Federation & Metal Injection Molding Association and is one of the PIM industry’s leading events. Set to run from March 5-7 in Irvine, California, USA, the event will feature two days of conference sessions as well as a table-top exhibition sponsored by PIM International magazine. Also scheduled is an optional Powder Injection Moulding Tutorial by Randall M German, Professor Emeritus, San Diego State University.
Among the presentations to be given at MIM2018 are:
- Keynote: Update on Forged Special Steels, Remelting and Powder Metallurgy
- Moldability of Titanium-Based Feedstocks Used in Low-Pressure Powder Injection Molding
- Using Bound Metal Deposition for MIM Prototyping
- Process Monitoring and Control Systems as Basic Building Blocks for the 4th Industrial Revolution
- Rationalization of Binders and Debinding
- Cost Effective HIP – A Cost Calculation Study for MIM Parts
- Lean Manufacturing Applications in MIM Value Streams
- Effects of Molding Parameters on Part Distortion
- Additive Manufacturing of Ti6Al4V Components to MIM Standards
- Understanding Gating Strategy and the Effects on Characteristics of a Sintered Part
- Characterisation of Different Tool Steels made by MIM
- Material Developments in Binder Jet 3D Printing
- Dry Ice in MIM Mold Cleaning
- Study of 304L Stainless Steel Magnetic Permeability
- MIM Material Properties of Novel AM Technology
- Study of H900 Heat Treat Parameters of MIM 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
- Predicting Viscosity Behavior for New Feedstock Development in Powder Injection Molding
- Adoption of 3D Metal Printing in Key Vertical Markets Like Aerospace, Automotive and Medical
- Influence of Feedstock Property Estimates on Powder Injection Molding Simulations and Experiments of PZT Micro-Pillar Arrays
- Developing Binder-Jet AM Technology: Leveraging MIM
Details of speakers and abstracts are available via the event website.
Tabletop exhibition sponsored by PIM International magazine
A tabletop exhibition will be held as part of the event, featuring leading international suppliers to the PIM industry, including powder suppliers and producers of processing equipment.
Sponsored by Powder Injection Moulding International magazine, the tabletop exhibition will take place following the technical sessions on Tuesday, March 6. This will provide attendees with the opportunity to continue their interactions with fellow delegates and speakers over a drink and extend any ongoing discussions from the sessions.
Powder Injection Moulding Tutorial
This optional course, which requires a separate registration fee, is an ideal route for anyone looking to learn more about PIM to gain a solid and comprehensive foundation in the technology in a short period of time.
Topics covered will include:
- Introduction to the manufacturing processes: feedstocks, moulding, debinding, sintering, and finishing
- Definition of what constitutes a viable PIM component
- Selection of materials based on component expectations and required properties
- Assessment of the critical features of dimensional accuracy and material performance
- Comparison of PIM to competing technologies
- Review of the economic advantages of PIM
- New applications, emerging markets, and examples of products never thought possible in net-shape manufacturing until PIM