Osterwalder AG, Lyss, Switzerland, has announced the development of fully integrated production cells, expected to offer improved productivity for Powder Metallurgy parts makers. Bringing together the powder compaction and part handling processes, Osterwalder’s Smart Press Cell is available for all of the company’s single plate powder compacting presses, from 80 to 2000 kN press force.
According to Osterwalder, current solutions are not designed for efficient production, having weaknesses in integration, interface, parameter exchange and control, with no optimal safety integration. Based on feedback and the requirements of PM part makers, the Smart Press Cell addresses these issues and fully links the press and handling units, with control from one central Human Machine Interface (HMI).
The Smart Press Cell is said to offer numerous benefits to the PM part maker, beginning with the need for just one supplier for installation, training, service and support. Data acquisition is reported to be faster and open to enable efficient data communication, faster programming and higher productivity. Full traceability of the produced parts is also possible, seen as a key element for industrial process digitalisation.
Key features of the Osterwalder Smart Press Cell include:
- HMI and control operate from a central point
- Flexible tray arrangements and formats, including the possibility to run for up to three hours without operator intervention
- A newly developed linear axis system (patent pending)
- Gripper with smart insertion/adaptors for all pick-up standards and integrated punch-cleaning
- Central dust collection for reduction of powder contamination
- Optimal floor space dimensions
- Forty strokes per minute with ‘SpeedMaster’
- Modular setup for future extensions with tray stackers, AGV etc.
- Smart part cleaning with cyclone technology