MPIF releases revised edition of Collection of Powder Characteristics
October 21, 2019
The Metal Powder Industries Federation (MPIF) has released a revised edition of its A Collection of Powder Characterization Standards for Metal Additive Manufacturing. The publication contains nine existing MPIF Standard Test Methods applicable for the characterisation of powders used in metal AM processes, with an explanation of each standard.
These standards, intended to present and clarify PM technology as an aid in conducting business, relate to those activities that concern designers, manufacturers, and users of metal AM parts. There have been updates to eight of the nine MPIF Standards included in this collection.
The nine standards included in the publication are:
- MPIF Standard 01 – Method for Sampling Metal Powders
- MPIF Standard 02 – Method for Determination of Loss of Mass in a Reducing Atmosphere for Metal Powders (Hydrogen Loss)
- MPIF Standard 03 – Method for Determination of Flow Rate of Free-Flowing Metal Powders Using the Hall Apparatus
- MPIF Standard 04 – Method for Determination of Apparent Density of Free-Flowing Metal Powders Using the Hall Apparatus
- MPIF Standard 05 – Method for Determination of Sieve Analysis of Metal Powders
- MPIF Standard 28 – Method for Determination of Apparent Density of Non-Free-Flowing Metal Powders Using the Carney Apparatus
- MPIF Standard 46 – Method for Determination of Tap Density of Metal Powders
- MPIF Standard 48 – Method for Determination of Apparent Density of Metal Powders Using the Arnold Meter
- MPIF Standard 53 – Method for Measuring the Volume of the Apparent Density Cup Used with the Hall and Carney Apparatus
The new edition can be ordered online in print or digital format via the MPIF’s publications portal. MPIF/APMI members can purchase the standard at a discounted rate by logging in with their member details.