Mitsubishi Materials to acquire majority share in Hitachi Tool carbide tool business

October 20, 2014

Mitsubishi Materials (MMC) of Japan has announced that it will acquire a 51% shareholding in Hitachi Tool Engineering Ltd, a leading Japanese cemented carbide cutting tool and wear part producer. Hitachi Tool Engineering Ltd is a division of Hitachi Metals Ltd which will retain the remaining 49% of shares. The transaction is scheduled to be completed by April 1, 2015.

Production of carbide tools by Hitachi Tool will become part of MMC’s Advanced Materials & Tools Division and the acquisition is expected to help MMC achieve a 10% share or higher of the global carbide tool market. Hitachi Tool specialises in the production of carbide tools for a variety of difficult-to-cut materials and complicated shape products for power generation equipment, aerospace materials and other applications.

It was stated that Hitachi Tool will benefit from MMC’s considerable global sales network, and will also be able to take advantage of MMC’s raw material procurement, integrated supply chain and recycling network.

The company will continue its tool steel business partnership with Hitachi Metals. Along with conventional type tool steel steels, there are some high speed tool steel grades made by Powder Metallurgy process (HAP series) having superior wear resistance and toughness because of higher alloy content and uniform fine microstructure.

Hitachi Tools employs 722 people (as at March 31, 2014) and reported net sales of Yen 18,966 billion ($177.8 million) for the financial year 2013/2014.  

Powder Metallurgy Review magazine:

Your email address:

Useful links: Download PM Review magazine | News headlines | Browse articles 

Recent issue of Powder Metallurgy review - your go-to resource to stay updated on the world of powder metallurgy and metal powders

In the latest issue of PM Review…

PM Review Spring 2023

Download PDF

Extensive Powder Metallurgy industry news coverage, and the following exclusive deep-dive articles and reports:

  • GKN Powder Metallurgy: A strategic vision for the future of permanent magnets for EVs
  • Building trust in the Powder Metallurgy industry: The role of standardisation and an update on recent work by ISO/TC 119
  • High-volume powder production for Additive Manufacturing: SMS group’s continuous metal powder production process
  • Development of enhanced-performance PM brake pads for high-speed trains by Beijing Tianyishangjia New Material Corp., Ltd.
  • The START project: Creating a sustainable supply chain for green energy harvesting products by Powder Metallurgy
  • World PM2022: Reviewing three innovative methods for metal powder production

The latest news from the world of metal powders, delivered to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of PM Review, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our weekly newsletter.

Sign up

Join our community

From the industry…

Discover our magazine archive…

The free-to-access PM Review magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of Powder Metallurgy from a commercial and technological perspective through:

  • Reports on visits to leading PM part manufacturers, metal powder manufacturers and industry suppliers
  • Articles on technology and application trends
  • Information on materials developments
  • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
  • International industry news

All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.


Browse the archive


Looking for PM production equipment, metal powders, R&D support and more?

Discover suppliers of these and more in our
advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of PM Review magazine.

  • Powders & materials
  • Powder process, classification & analysis
  • PM products
  • Atomisers & powder production technology
  • Compaction presses, tooling & ancillaries
  • Sintering equipment & ancillaries
  • Post-processing
  • Consulting & toll sintering
Download PDF
Share via
Copy link