Miba and Zollern joint venture for engine and industrial bearings

October 14, 2019

October 14, 2019

Austria’s Miba AG has launched a joint venture with Zollern GmbH & Co. KG, headquartered in Laucherthal, Germany, to develop and expand both companies range of engine and industrial bearings.

Miba will bring its five engine bearing plants to the partnership, which currently generates around 20% of Miba’s earnings, with Zollern adding two industrial bearing plants and one engine bearing plant. 

The goal of the joint venture is said to combine the strengths of Miba and Zollern in the bearing business, and thereby better position them for global competition. For Miba, the step mainly serves to expand its industrial bearing business, which has grown from four to six production facilities in Germany, the United States and Brazil. The engine bearing segment will also have an additional plant in Germany. 

By pooling their expertise in research and development, the companies also stated that they can make an important contribution to the development of new solutions in decarbonisation and renewable energy, through new bearing technologies for wind power turbines.

The joint venture is headed by Deputy CEO of Miba AG and CEO of the Miba Bearing Group, Dr Wolfgang Litzlbauer. Miba holds 74.9% of the joint venture, with the remaining 25.1% held by Zollern.

Miba’s existing four industrial bearing plants do not form part of the joint venture, and other business areas at Miba and Zollern will reportedly be unaffected.



October 14, 2019

In the latest issue of PM Review…

Download PDF

Extensive Powder Metallurgy industry news coverage, and the following exclusive deep-dive articles and reports:

  • From powder modification to rejuvenation: Fluidised Bed Reactors in metal powder production and Additive Manufacturing
  • Retech: Enabling the atomisation of reactive and refractory alloys at substantially higher levels of productivity and lower cost
  • Sustainability in Powder Metallurgy: Highlights from the 41st Hagen Symposium
  • Innovations from Japan’s Powder Metallurgy industry: award winners highlight novel automotive and healthcare applications

The latest news from the world of metal powders, delivered to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of PM Review, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our weekly newsletter.

Sign up

Join our community

Discover our magazine archive…

The free-to-access PM Review magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of Powder Metallurgy from a commercial and technological perspective through:

  • Reports on visits to leading PM part manufacturers, metal powder manufacturers and industry suppliers
  • Articles on technology and application trends
  • Information on materials developments
  • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
  • International industry news

All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.


Browse the archive


Looking for PM production equipment, metal powders, R&D support and more?

Discover suppliers of these and more in our
advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of PM Review magazine.

  • Powders & materials
  • Powder process, classification & analysis
  • PM products
  • Atomisers & powder production technology
  • Compaction presses, tooling & ancillaries
  • Sintering equipment & ancillaries
  • Post-processing
  • Consulting & toll sintering
View online
Share via
Copy link